Those who inspire us… Dennis McGrane’s 1977 collage of heroes. See the index of who’s who above, below.
Winter Park Ski Club
I am a hoarder. In about 1977, when I was 15, I created this collage from my ski-jumping photo collection. Inspiration comes from many things and these skiers shaped my skiing career and who I am. Special thanks goes to Scott Clayton (picture 8) a Winter Park, Co. progeny who inspired me in many ways including: giving me his hand-me-downs (turtle neck with thumb loops, first pair of p-tex bottom “fish sticks);” and taught me ballet, how to jump a roller-board, and use a jump bar in the Clayton barn ( Littleton, Co.). Scott was a member of the University of Utah Ski Team; World Championship Skier; ski-flyer, mentor, and life-long friend.
As a young skier, there were so many people to look up to including: the intercollegiate Americans and foreigners; great USST skiers like Terry Kern, Jeff Davis, Chris McNeil; foreign Teams like the Austrians and East Germans; and even the photographs of jumping greats of yesteryear. We are an incredible community of men and women who love the thrill and excitement of flying in the wind. Thank you Jeff Hastings for taking the time to bring us all together to remember and hopefully inspire our future flyers!
LEGEND of LEGENDS
- Terry Kern: inspiring little man
- Chris McNeil: gave back; strong; quiet; top 10 in Lake Placid pre-Olympics
- Berlin N.H: someone died there.
- Freddie Groyer (Aus): First foreign ski-jumper I ever saw skiing Laconia.
- Old Hill at Steamboat: burned down;
- Carl Schnable (Aut): Air suit.
- Berlin N.H:
- Scott Clayton: Hometown hero and mentor.
- Old style at Steamboat Springs
- Carl Howelson: Steamboat founder
- Chris McNeil: Montana jumper
- Terry Kern:
- Tom Christensen: NCAA champion.
- Wade Catell: Madison, Wi.
- Unk: Old Steamboat 90m
- Freddie Groyer (Aut): Solid form.
- Kip Sundgarrd: University of Utah; member of Gene Kotlarek’s USST.
- Jeff “hairdog” Davis: Steamboat flyer; 9th place in Lake Placid 1980.
- Me: Aspen, Co (~1976)
- Madison: 1st plastic big hill (1975)
- Jim Denney: America’s Best!; Taught us how to land and win.
- Unk: Madison: hands in front.
- Jeff Davis: Tipping over in Lahti, Fin.
- Me: Winter Park (~1974)
- Unk: Steamboat Old 90m
- Toni Innauer (Aut); No helmets yet.
- Unk: Somewhere in midwest
- Me: Boys Life cover (1975); still in leather boots with motorcycle helmet
- Unk: Hmm….John Balfanz or Gene Kotlerek?